Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The job, the man, and the life

I got a new job in the city... 4 months ago I naively took a job that I thought would be a piece of cake. Who doesn't want to give money to the local gay group? It's the only game in town! Well, lo and behold, the only game in town is fraught (sp?) with financial problems, management problems, and PR problems. Let the drama commence! I'm running the AIDS Walk (I'm in charge, I'm not literally running. Who does that?) which is my first major event, plus I've never even been to the walk before. It's only 10 days away and it's going really well. We already have 50k in the bank, which is half of our goal, and we haven't even gotten the money from walkers yet!

I can't think of another good song line for the love life part... 1 month ago Jim moved in! I thought it would be the same as when we were spending every night together and paying double rent, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it's even more fun. We are making plans to stay in my old rental house, rip up the carpet and sand the hardwood floors, plus replace the overgrown rats nest of a hedge in the back to create a yard. For those of you not living in SB who think I'm crazy to do all of this work to a rental, it's near impossible to find affordable housing in the region. I have below market rent in an adorable house in an amazing location. It's totally worth the 2 weekends of work.

I'm not sure what to say about life, since the above pretty much encomasses it. I guess I could say that the flight of the 30 something crowd continues out of luxurious SB. I think there are 8 of us left. If you know someone between the ages of 22 and 60 in SB, let me know!

No comments: