Saturday, May 06, 2006

a baby, a prom, a wedding, and a funeral

Since my last post, I've seen an entire lifetime of events. My friend Heather & her partner Deb birthed baby Liam at home, Jim & I attended a middle-aged gay prom (it was a blast!), my friend Darien became engaged, and a friend died. Also, I came to terms with my decision on the alimony Gavin owes me. Here's more on the alimony, and then the death.

Last week, Gavin was on the cover of the weekly entertainment newspaper, the SB Independent. It's a great paper that everyone reads and is distributed everywhere. The story was about SB nightlife and only quoted him a couple of times. He is quite well known in SB, so he was their cover photo. The photo isn't available online. He's been very successful, which is great, but his success is one more reason why he shouldn't be let off the hook for the alimony. He DJs about 6 nights a week, works a couple days at a school, owns a DJ school, owns a DJ referral business, and has bought a condo, new truck, and a motorcycle. I would say he has the means to pay the alimony. The courts said that he is legally required to pay me before he pays any other expenses, including his own rent or mortgage. I haven't been aggressive about it for the past year since communication with him is painful and opens the door to more interaction with him. However, I'm living month to month and this was the last straw. I'm going to send him a letter by mail notifying him that I will be garnishing his wages beginning in June. I'll clearly state how it will work and that future communications should be by mail.

The other big thing that has happened is a friend in SB died last week. I barely knew her, but it's still really hard to hear, and I still had to mourn. She was about 25, worked at PIRG, and was severely depressed. She was on suicide watch, but was smart and determined enough to set up a scenario where everyone thought she was with someone else. She moved her car so people would think she was away from home and her roommate was in Boston. She died on Wednesday night. On Monday, her voicemail was full, a friend realized she wasn't where she said she would be, and they called the police. Her close friends and family are saddened, but said she would have died 6 months ago had she not had such close friends and loved ones. The pain was just too much for Mary Braun to bear. I'll post a photo here of her once I get one to help remember her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this- I knew Mary in college. Do you know she died- is that appropriate to ask?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Mary killed herself by taking an overdose of pills. She set up a beautiful shrine in her bathroom with candles and pictures of loved ones. She left several notes and knew that she was loved by many. Her disease was just too much to live through, and was determined to end her suffering. She told different stories of her social plans for that week so that no one really knew where she was and she moved her car so no one suspected that she was at home.