Saturday, March 31, 2007

Lessons for future re-models

Okay here are a couple of rules to live by when doing remodels. In no particular order

1.) Having contractors in house does not mean you get to work on your own projects while they are doing their thing. For each contractor you have in the house you will need to spend 10-15 minutes with them for each hour they are in your house. If you have 3 or more contractors in the house that amount of time will increase as you need to keep them from running into one another. Plan on doing paper work while they are all there, because you aren't going to get anything done yourself. Oh and don't forget to throughly inspect their work. The Cable guy's way of getting the cable in the house was to open the bulkhead doors and back door then lay the cable on the basement stairs.

2.) Do all your demolition, and I mean all, before you move forward. I have had to have the electricians out 3 times because I keep realizing I need to move another set of wires as I finish tearing down walls.

3.) Be flexible, old houses have quirks and wreak havoc on your plans

4.) When seeking opinions on major structural changes, ask lots of different types of people. I got advice from an architect, his contractor friends, a general contractor/home inspector, another architect and a series of friends. The most useful people have been the ones who have done what I want to do, in this case build a staircase. Also, read up on it before you start bringing people to show you what you need to know about. Though professionals have experience they won't always tell you what the do and don't know and have a habit of advising on things that are outside of their frame of reference.

5.) The people at the hardware store will become invaluable, get to know them well. Especially the old guys at the hardware store, they are a treasure trove of knowledge.

6.) Though they are good for saving money the staff at the big box stores don't know shit! Don't trust anything they say.

7.) Buy lumber from a real lumber yard. The discount stores sell cheap, warped, split lumber. It's will be worth the extra money.

No comments: