Thursday, November 08, 2007

Thank you BBB!

On a recommendation, I took Maddy to Columbus All Breed for Beginning Obedience. The instructors were terrible and used aggressive methods that seemed counterproductive to building a relationship of trust and learning. For example, the teacher told us that if your dog jumps on people as they come in the door, lock the dog in the closet. She also said that if your dog is sniffing the ground when you want to walk, then you should walk faster. Neither of these problems are solved by ignoring them! They also use a choke collar which they call a "training collar." It would be nice if they explain that on the website.

Anyway, I asked them for a refund and they refused. The Training Director called me and offered to put me in a new class. Had he agreed that there was a problem with my class, then I would have gladly agreed. However, I didn't want to continue with the same methods.

I finally filed a complaint with the BBB. It's not a surprise that they are now willing to refund my $75. Thank you!

This is the second time I've used the BBB, and it's been a great tool. It's one of the only ways that a consumer has recourse. The other time I used them was when I paid for a magazine subscription through a 3rd party that never came. They had a fake customer service phone # and a bouncing email address. There was no way to leave a message, so this was my only option.

We start positive/clicker training with Civil Obedience on December 10th (Jim's birthday!). I've heard rave reviews about them, including from my vet.

No comments: