So anyone that had ever been in a car with Jodi and I knows that we listen to NPR all the time (and yes we do give). Over the years I have had an on again off again relationship with This American Life, an NPR show. Having bought an Iphone last year I started listening to a lot of NPR shows via podcast, including This American Life (I finish about one out of three episodes, some weeks Ira Glass really gets on my nerves).
The last two weeks This American Life tackled the sticky subject of the health care debate. They did a show two weeks ago talking about the three things that make health care expensive: Doctors, Patients and Insurance Companies (Episode 391). Last week they looked at Insurance Companies a little closer (Episode 392). I'm only 15 minutes into last week's episode and they are really interesting. For example they say the evidence shows that the time when health care costs actually decreased and health care improved was when HMO's were in power (remember how much we all hated them?). As usual it's NPR's dispassionate look at things from a truly journalistic perspective.
I know this is a sticky issues for a lot of people, I'm one of them. Coming from the perspective of someone who thinks we are simply delaying the move to a single payer system, these episodes gave a me pause to think otherwise. Though I'm still convinced single payer will win out to be honest.
You can listen to them or download them on their web site
3 comments:
My favorite TAL episode is Fiasco, about a production of Peter Pan gone wrong: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=61
Unfortunately, NPR forgot the biggest unnecessary cost in healthcare, lawyers. We have all heard of the outlandish insurance premiums born by the medical profession. Add to this the multi-billion dollar settlements in drug liability cases (phen-fen, Vioxx, etc) and you see why drugs cost more here than in other countries. We undergo tests that have little proven value because our doctors are afraid of being sued if not ordered. Now, ask me how I really feel.
Yea says the guy works for one of the largest pharma distribution companies in the country.
Seriously Vioxx killed people because the manufacturer withheld internal studies that said it was dangerous. Those people have blood on their hands, they should be out of business!
The point of the stories is more to point out the result of hiding the true costs of the treatment from the patients. I mean look at it, if you have employer provided health care you not only don't know how much procedures cost you don't even know how much the insurance costs (excepting co-pays).
Rick I think the point you always make about consumers being in charge of paying for health care is the thing to take home. That said the only way that is going to happen is for consumers to pay or premiums or vote for the people to create the plans they want.
Post a Comment