Monday, June 07, 2010

Latest updates

It's been a couple of months since my last update, so I figure that we must have something to report by now. Actually Violet has been doing a lot of changing recently. She's gone from babyhood firmly into toddlerhood.

Her vocabulary is amazing. I don't know how other kids develop language and I'm not reading any books, so I have no idea if she's Einstein (probably) or way behind... She has about a dozen words that she understands and uses spontaneously (not just repeating back to us). It's hart to understand them, but they are consistent and we understand what they mean. Violet can say - moo, dog (duh), milk (muh), uh-oh, no, mama, daddy (daiy), chicken (kiku), diaper (bopper), cat (cuh), and woof (wuh). She repeats sounds we make and is adding new words every few days - diaper and chicken both appeared this week.

Violet is also walking pretty well. She took her first steps the week after her birthday, 3 months ago, and has been slow to progress on the walking. Finally, this week, she seems to have transitioned into walking about 2/3 of the time and crawling the rest of the time.

She's totally weaned off the bottle, but we are still nursing twice a day. I plan to continue until she is 2, if I can stand dealing with the infection that she gave me in January that I can't kick. Besides that, we both still like it and I'm evangelical about the health benefits to both of us.

Finally for Violet, she has started throwing temper tantrums. We're trying to figure out how to cut them off at the pass. We err on the side of ignoring them to keep from reinforcing bad behavior, but I'm still trying to figure out if there are techniques to be supportive and help her through them.

For me & Jim - we planned to go to Texas this month but I chickened out on the flight. I get new health insurance later this summer which will qualify me for a program that should help. We did travel to North Carolina for a wedding and had a blast. We have another wedding this weekend. 2 friends had babies in the last month and 2 more are due in about 6 weeks.

I've joined the Advisory Board of the Gateway Film Center, which is a movie theater that is reinventing itself to be an entertainment/live events venue. Work keeps me overly busy and Jim's business continues to grow. He hired his first employee a few months ago and hopes to have a second in a year or so.

Our camera broke, but is being repaired, so look for more pictures in a couple of weeks. I keep stockpiling them and will eventually post them on our Picassa account.

No comments: