Here's the letter that I just submitted to the Columbus Dispatch. They frustrate me so much!!!
Dear Columbus Dispatch,
I prepaid for a one year subscription to the paper and read it daily. I received subscription renewal notices, as it read on the outside of the envelope. I didn't plan to renew, so I ignored the solicitations. A couple of weeks later I received an unintelligible phone call from someone claiming to be following up for the person who came to my house on the money that I owed. Since I didn't think I owed any money for my pre-paid subscription and the caller was so unprofessional, I was sure it was a scam. So, I called the Columbus Dispatch to find out if it was legitimate and warn the paper if it wasn't. The circulation staffer I spoke with said that they did not call me and they did not send someone to my house. I reported that I was concerned about fraud on their behalf. The staffer seemed thoroughly unconcerned and didn't indicate that he would even pass the word along to supervisors. I received a second phone call, that my husband answered. He had a similar experience and also said it sounded like a fraud. Again, I didn't plan to renew my newspaper subscription and the Dispatch wasn't worried about it, so I ignored it. Who isn't inundated by solicitations for services?
Then I got a call from the Dispatch that I was sure was legitimate. They were attempting to collect the $50 that I owed them. I was a little less surprised this time, but still had no idea what they were talking about. Then the staffer explained that the Dispatch had mailed me notices stating that they would continue my subscription until I called to cancel. Apparently those solicitation letters with "subscriber invoice enclosed" detailed the fact. I asked if I could have the fee waived since I never asked for the service. They said no. I asked if I could be credited if I were to resubscribe. Again, I was told no. To this I responded that I would file a claim with the BBB and the AG since this seemed unethical to me.
A couple of days later I received a call from a collection agency. I explained my concern and they said that this is how every newspaper in the country operates. No wonder newspapers are losing subscribers! Look how they treat their customers! I bought something and as a result I am being charged for future services. Crazy! I paid the invoice rather than be sent to collections, so I caved to the threat.
Given that I need to keep up with the paper for work, and I bumped into a nice sales guy selling subscriptions, I reluctantly resubscribed. Since it was a few days after I received the collections call I decided to follow up with the Dispatch to ensure my account was in good standing. The nice woman in the subscriptions department informed me that as soon as they receive payment from the collection agency they will restart my subscription. So, I objected multiple times to multiple staff, was sent to collections for nonpayment of a subscription, and they are going to restart my subscription without my consent?
It's completely unethical. The Dispatch needs to change its policies or risk alienating too many customers. Lucky for you I'm stuck reading the paper for work.
Sincerely,
Jodi Segal
2 comments:
This is exactly why I don't like prepaying for things a year in advance or allowing companies to automatically take funds from my account on a regular time frame. Call me old fashion, but I rather pay as I go and write my own checks, then deal with situations like this. Hope it all gets straightened out.
I didn't give them a credit card. They just kept sending me the paper and then mailed me a bill to pay.
Post a Comment